Gearing up for your annual family holiday and looking for the best place to go? If relaxing is high on the agenda, then a sojourn to the South Pacific will tick all your boxes. In Fiji, you’ll be greeted with warm smiles, warmer weather and some of the most beautiful beaches on the planet. With family-friendly five star resorts, child minding services and exciting activities all within easy access, rest assured your Fiji itinerary will be overloaded with fun for the whole family.
Family cycling, Plantation Island, Fiji
Here’s a lowdown on all the things to keep in mind when planning your first family holiday to Fiji.
It’s important to tick off all the necessary travel admin before jetting off as a family.
Kids on-board Fiji Airways
• Make sure your kids have a passport with more than six month’s validity.
• Look into hotels and resorts that permit children (some are adults-only).
• Check with your doctor about any pre-trip vaccination shots required (especially for younger children)
• Pack all the essentials like nappies, wipes and baby formulas. Whilst you can purchase these in supermarkets and pharmacies in Fiji, it’s best to bring your own supplies as they can be expensive.
Best Resorts For Kids
A family holiday is exactly that, a holiday for the whole family. So when it comes to booking accommodation, keep in mind who you’re travelling with. Here are our picks of the top family-friendly resorts in Fiji.
Lagoon swimming pool, Shangri-La Fijian Resort & Spa, Fiji
If it’s not the Shangri-La’s stunning views that will win you over, then their range of kid-friendly services and facilities certainly will. Every day the hotel runs the Little Chief’s Club, which is catered to kids between 4 – 12 years old. The club’s activity coordinators entertain children with a wide variety of fun activities, including crab racing, scavenger hunts, pottery making and even Fijian singing lessons. Activities take place at the children’s pool, playground or at the beach – meaning your kids will never be bored. The hotel also offers child-minding services - just in case parents want to sneak in a date night or relax with a couple’s massage.
Fijian Bure, Sheraton Fiji Hotel, Fiji
At Sheraton, parents have the luxury of taking a well-deserved break whilst resting assured that their little ones are entertained and well taken care of. The resort’s LaiLai Kids Club is renowned as one of the best in Fiji, offering a comprehensive daily program of educational and fun activities. Whether it’s Fijian language lessons, fish feeding, dancing or face painting, there’s bound to be something for every child. The Club is free for all kids; however, a full evening program is available with the Kid’s Club at the cost of FJD 25 per child, per evening.
Outrigger Beach Resort, Fiji
Now it may sound clichéd, but at Viti Levu’s Outrigger Beach Resort, kids actually do come first. Being family friendly is the focus at this 5-star resort and the options are pretty impressive. For the tiny tots there’s the Kids Club (3-12 years), which specialises in Fijian games and poolside activities. Meanwhile the Teen Activity Program is designed to impress even the most hard-to-please teenager. They’ll be making spears, exploring sand dunes and hiking through the rain forest.
Fun Activities For Kids
Banana boat ride, Plantation Island, Fiji
Fiji’s beaches alone will keep your little ones happy. Think soft white sand, warm waters and plenty of marine life to play with. Banana boat rides are particularly fun and is an activity the whole family can participate in.
South Sea Cruises, Fiji
Mana Island is filled with colourful fish, making it a popular beachside location for easy snorkelling. Young children who aren’t strong swimmers can join in on the fun too! South Sea Island allows guests and children to marvel at the incredible underwater marine life via a semi-submersible.
Kula Eco Park
Kula Eco Park entrance, Fiji
Allow your kids to get up close and personal with the wild side of Fiji with a fun day trip out to Kula Eco Park. Enjoy a family nature walk through acres of natural forest to explore the forest canopy and to witness Fiji’s spectacular bird, reptile and marine life.
Tips For Travelling With Kids
Kids playing with sand, Plantation Island, Fiji
• Pack your kid’s favourite toys, which can help them to settle into a new location. Utilise toys as rewards on the plane to keep them calm and occupied.
• Fiji has a tropical climate and so it’s a good idea to watch your water intake. Pack water bottles to keep the kids hydrated at all times.
• If your child is a fussy eater, pack some tinned food or their favourite snacks – you never know when that might come in handy.
• When travelling with young children, make a note to bring your own car or booster seats.
• Don’t plan too many activities in the first two days as they are often write-off days. Young children require time to adjust to a new environment and so expect some chaos at the beginning of the trip.
• Don’t be afraid to use the nanny services available at the resort. Most of these child minding facilities offer a wide variety of kid-friendly activities, bound to keep your little ones entertained, while you jet off to a relaxing massage.