An atoll that’s part of the Republic of Kiribati, Kiritimati is also known as Christmas Island. ‘Kiritimati’ is the Kiribati word for Christmas, hence how the island got its name. It is the largest coral atoll in the world, spanning 388 square kilometres. Experience South Pacific hospitality on your next flight to Kiritimati with Fiji Airways.
Top things to do in Kiritimati
- Visit Wild Papaya, which is a gallery and gift shop for homemade crafts and the perfect place to pick up a gift for someone.
- Check out The Grotto, which is a marvellous sight to behold. Just make sure you go at low tide!
- Christmas Island National Park is home to an abundance of crabs. There are some species of birds to be spotted, too.
- It wouldn’t be a trip to Kiritimati without going diving. The coral atoll has plenty of snorkelling spots dotted offshore.
- Explore some of the other islands around Kiritimati – just ask a tour guide to show you around.
Transport in Kiritimati
Once you arrive on your Fiji Airways flight to Kiritimati, you won’t need much help getting around the island. Although the largest of the atolls in the Republic of Kiribati, it’s best explored on foot. There is only one road on the island, which runs between the airport and the main village of London. There is a public bus that runs along that road, but ultimately, it’s best to hike the island to get to know it.