Tarawa is the capital of the Republic of Kiribati and is made up of two islands. North Tarawa has more in common with the remote islands in the Republic, while South Tarawa is home to more than half the population of Kiribati. Book your next flight to Tarawa with Fiji Airways and experience authentic South Pacific cuisine before you even land.
Top things to do in Tarawa
- Tarawa was invaded by the Japanese in 1941, so there are a number of World War II historic sites worth visiting.
- Go fishing! There are a number of chartered fishing companies that offer trips to some of the best fishing spots in the world.
- Birdwatch on some of the Phoenix Islands, which is a Protected Area and home to a number of species of birds.
- The Parliament Building is designed to look like a traditional canoe and is a unique piece of architecture on the island.
- Check out the lagoon at Ambo Island, where the beaches and waters are tropical paradises.
Transport in Tarawa
South Tarawa has the most advanced method of land transport in the Republic of Kiribati. There are buses that run the length of the island, while trucks and motorbikes are the most common methods of transport for the locals. As a visitor, the best way to explore Tarawa is on foot or by bicycle, while tour companies will be able to take you further afield.