Port Vila is the capital and main hub of the island nation of Vanuatu in the South Pacific Ocean. It is located on the island of Efate and is the largest city in Vanuatu, home to over 44,000 people.
Fiji Airways offers flights to Port Vila serving Bauerfield International Airport (VLI). Check out our flights to this ex-US Naval Base in the middle of the ocean.
Things to do in Port Vila
- Check out the Vanuatu Cultural Centre and National Museum of Vanuatu to learn more about the traditions and history of Vanuatu and its people.
- Take a trip to the Mele Cascades, a many-tiered waterfall in a rainforest.
- Buy some local products at one of the many markets in Port Vila and sample the food straight from the source.
- Visit the world’s only Underwater Post Office and send a postcard from under the sea.
- Go on a Nafonu Tatoka Tour to the Ekasup Cultural Village and learn about the past of the primitive people of Vanuatu.
Transport in Port Vila
The cost of public transport in Port Vila is relatively high because there are lots of companies offering it. However, it does remain the easiest and most convenient way to get around the island of Efate.
Getting from the airport
Bauerfield International Airport is about a 10-minute drive from the centre of Port Vila and is easily accessible from the town. A public minibus is the cheapest option, but you can take a taxi if you prefer.