Nuku’alofa is the capital of the island collective Tonga, located on the north coast of the island of Tongatapu. According to an old legend, the city's name means “abode of love”. Nuku’alofa has a tropical rainforest climate, with mostly wet seasons during the year. Book you flight to Nuku’alofa with Fiji Airways and experience the charm of this tropical capital.
Top 5 Tourist Attractions in Nuku’alofa
- Visit the Royal Palace Tonga located northwest of the capital, where the King of Tonga lives and the parliament of Tonga holds their sessions and meetings.
- Take a trip to the Anahulu cave and dive in the natural limestone underground swimming pool.
- Explore the Talamahu market, filled with fresh produce, Tongan arts and handicrafts, woven baskets and bags, and much more
- Tour the Tonga National Museum, which includes a culture center, library, and gallery exhibiting Tongan royal collection pieces, historical Tongan/Samoan photographs, archaeological artifacts, and pottery
- Discover the historical Tongan Basilica of St Anthony of Padua and wander through the Royal Tombs of Tonga opposite the Basilica, which have served as the royal resting place since 1893
Transport in Nuku’Alofa
The easiest and fastest ways around Nuku’Alofa are by motorbike, taxi or walking. While there are various means of transportation it’s worth mentioning that Nuku’Alofa is small enough to be covered by foot.
There is also an additional option to get a Tongan driver’s license for T$25 and rent a car or motor scooter to get around the city. Keep in mind, to carry a city map if you are touring by car or scooter as there are few road signs to assist in directions.