San Francisco is a relatively small city, with 830,000 people packed into an area of about 11 kilometres by 11 kilometres. It was originally named Yerba Buena but was renamed in 1846. Book you next flight to San Francisco with Fiji Airways and experience South Pacific hospitality as you arrive in this foggy city by the bay.
Top attractions in San Francisco
- Check out the Chronicle Wine Competition if you happen to be visiting in February. The winners can be sampled a few weeks after the competition ends.
- Head up north to Fisherman’s Wharf for an endless supply of crabs and other seafood delicacies. You can also hang out with the sea lions while you look out over the bay.
- From Fisherman’s Wharf, head over to Pier 39, where you can shop and watch street performers. Catch a ride on the ornate two-story carousel.
- Take in the beauty of Golden Gate Park. With over 1,000 acres of public land, you can spend all day hiking and seeking out wildlife.
- Walk the Golden Gate Bridge, perhaps the most iconic image of San Francisco. The bridge is 1,280 metres long, which was a record when it was built.
Transport in San Francisco
With flights to San Francisco arriving every few minutes, the city is quite busy with public transport. The city takes its public transport very seriously; the Municipal Transportation Authority offers hybrid buses, trolley coaches, light rail systems, historic streetcars, and cable cars.
A special treat for visitors is the city’s cable car system. The 150-year-old system gives a unique perspective on San Francisco. There are three lines for you to choose from, but any one of them will give a comprehensive overview of all the major sights that the city has to offer.