Townsville is located in the dry tropics of Queensland on the north-eastern coast of Australia. It was established in 1865 and gets more than 320 days of sunshine every year, so it’s the perfect spot if you need a bit of Vitamin D!
Fiji Airways offers flights to Townsville Airport (TSV) through its codeshare partner Qantas, so you can get to the sun whenever you want!
Things to do in Townsville
- Dive the depths and get up close and personal with a shipwreck called the SS Gothenburg, which ran aground in 1875.
- Climb to the top of Castle Hill, a pink granite monolith right in the middle of Townsville.
- Learn about Townsville and Queensland at the Museum of Tropical Queensland, giving you a snapshot of history.
- Enjoy a show at the Burdekin Theatre, where all types of theatre performances, exhibitions, and concerts take place.
- Stroll around the Central Village, where you can find cafes, open-air dining, and all types of shops, from boutiques to high street.
Transport in Townsville
Townsville is easy to walk around, but if you want to get public transport then use one of the services operated by Sunbus. The North Coast railway line connects Townsville with Cairns and Brisbane. There are also taxis available 24 hours a day.
Getting from the airport
An Airport Shuttle service operates 7 days a week, providing a pick-up and drop-off service between the airport and many city centre hotels, as well as the Magnetic Island Ferry Terminal. There are also several coaches and buses to bring you from the airport to the centre of the city, or you can take a taxi if you prefer.