Delhi is the capital of the northern area of India and is steeped in history. Old Delhi is a neighbourhood that dates back to the 1600s. The city itself is a huge metropolitan area that is home to a vast population of over 19 million people.
Fiji Airways serves up to three weekly flights to Indira Gandhi International Airport (DEL) via Singapore through its codeshare partnership with Singapore Airlines. Have a look at our flights now to start your Indian adventure.
Top things to do in Delhi
- Visit the National Museum and be amazed by the art and artefacts on show from past and present.
- Get lost in one of the many traditional bazaars dotted around the city and enjoy the sights and smells.
- Visit the Jama Masjid and see the city from above. This is India’s largest mosque, and it towers 10 metres above the city.
- Marvel at the Red Fort, built between 1638 and 1648. It was founded by Emperor Shah Jahan.
- Take a Sunday stroll through the Lodhi Gardens and enjoy watching people enjoy this natural haven in the city centre.
Transport in Delhi
More than half of the population of Delhi is reliant on public transport, which means the transport system is cheap, clean, and reliable. Options include a metro rail service, a city bus service, auto rickshaws, and taxis. No matter what you want or what you can afford, you’ll be able to get around.
Getting from the airport
Indira Gandhi International Airport is the largest and busiest airport in India, and it is well served by public transport. There is a metro rail line that connects the airport to the city centre, with a journey time of around 25 minutes.