Mumbai is the capital city of the state of Maharashtra in India and is the most populated city in the country. It’s home to an estimated 12 million people and is both a financial centre and famous for the Bollywood film industry.
Fiji Airways serves up to three weekly flights to Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (BOM) via Singapore through its codeshare partnership with Singapore Airlines.
Top tourist attractions in Mumbai
- The Gateway of India is one of the most iconic landmarks in Mumbai, built between 1911 and 1913.
- Go beyond the city to the suburbs and visit Powai Lake, built across 2.1 km in the late 19th century.
- The ISKCON Temple is a stunning Hindu temple in Mumbai which outlines the story of Hare Krishna.
- A remnant from the colonial era, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus is a remarkable architectural building.
- Watch a show at the Prithvi Theatre, one of the oldest theatres in Mumbai, which was set up by the Kapoor family.
Transport in Mumbai
Public transport in Mumbai is frequent and cheap, as there are two local train lines that operate 21 hours a day. There is also a bus service which is regarded as the best in India. Also available are auto rickshaws, if you want to zip around.
Getting from the airport
Getting to the city centre from Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport is easy due to the number of taxis and rickshaws available outside arrivals. A taxi, metered or prepaid, can take anything from 25 minutes to 2 hours to get to the city centre.