Honiara, the capital of the Solomon Islands, is located on the Guadalcanal Island. During World War II, some of the worst battles took place here. It has now become the tourism capital of the Solomon Islands.
Experience history on this tropical island by booking your next flight to Honiara with Fiji Airways.
Top Things to do in Honiara
- Snorkel at the site of a World War II wreck at Bonega II, just outside the city. It’s about a 20-minute drive away on a well-signposted road.
- Check out the Honiara Central Market for a huge selection of fresh fruits, vegetables, and fruit, as well as other items, such as clothes.
- To learn more about the history of the Solomon Islands during the Second World War, visit the Guadalcanal American Memorial.
- Cool off under the Tenaru Falls, which is in a rainforest outside of Honiara.
- Head to the small Vilu War Museum for a look into the role of the islands during the war.
Transport in Honiara
There are a select number of public minibuses in Honiara, but if you want to explore further afield, your best option is to hire a taxi and driver or rent a car. However, the roads are not often clearly signposted, so you may be more comfortable in a taxi. A number of ferries connect the islands.