Chennai is located on the east coast of India, on the Bay of Bengal, and is the capital of the state of Tamil Nadu. The city was once a British military garrison and trading post for the East India Company, so it has a rich past.
Fiji Airways serves up to three weekly flights to Chennai via Singapore through its codeshare partnership with Singapore Airlines, serving Chennai International Airport (MAA). Have a look at our flights now and get started on your East Indian exploration.
Things to do in Chennai
- Visit the temples of Mahabalipuram, which was established in 1827 and is home to temples devoted to Lord Krishna and other gods and goddesses.
- Get up close and personal with the flamingos at Pulicat Lake, a wildlife sanctuary located on the second-largest salt-water lake in India.
- Marvel at the architecture of Kapaleeshwarar Temple, which is one of the oldest temples in Chennai.
- Revel at Chokhi Dhani, which is a theme park based on the culture, heritage and traditions of Rajasthan.
- Visit Fort St. George, which is known as the ‘White Town’. This entire town was built by the East India Company in 1644.
Transport in Chennai
Buses are the main mode of public transport in the city of Chennai, and the bus service has grown to carry around 4.35 million passengers a day. There are air-conditioned buses that are still cheap compared to other cities, but they are often crowded.
Getting from the airport
There is a train station 2 km from Chennai International Airport, which is the closest stop. There is no other public transport to or from the airport, but it’s easy to access by car or auto rickshaw.